unknown marine fossil

Use this forum to discuss the Identification of fossils. When adding photo's, please add the size, name of the location, and, if possible, the age.
Plaats reactie
murry
unknown marine fossil

Bericht door murry » 01 jun 2014, 22:54

Afbeelding

Hi all,
found this fossil at charmouth on Dorset coast. It was inside a small limestone nodule which I had split open. The dark area on left appears to possibly be part of an ink sac? Also unsure if rest of fossil is formed of fossilized shell, similar to ammonites, or if it is more bone structure. Any help with this would be very appreciated.
murry.

Murry

Elbert
Re: unknown marine fossil

Bericht door Elbert » 02 jun 2014, 17:06

Hello Murray, yes, this is a fossil of a squid with the inksac clearly visible.
Can`t give you a species name, but the people in Lyme/ Charmouth will...
And, as a matter of fact, I have a similar piece from Stonebarrow beach, so I am curious what name eventually will pop up...

greetings, Bert

Elbert

murry

Bericht door murry » 02 jun 2014, 21:29

hi bert.
thanks for confirming the ink sac, was 60percent sure it was, though also thought it might have been thin layer of lignite, im glad it wasn't ! I also found this at stonebarrow about half a mile from charmouth.
definite case of not seeing the wood for the trees!! I thought ink sac but never even considered it being a squid.
unfortunately wont be back there till September but will certainly make a point in asking for id of it when I am. shall let you know when I find out
many thanks
murry

Murry

murry

Bericht door murry » 27 sep 2014, 21:12

I took this fossil to the Charmouth fossil workshop for id ,where their opinion is that it is a Cuttlefish

Murry

Plaats reactie