Is it a sponge ?

Use this forum to discuss the Identification of fossils. When adding photo's, please add the size, name of the location, and, if possible, the age.
fifbrindacier
Re: Is it a sponge ?

Bericht door fifbrindacier » 12 okt 2017, 20:04

I've looked documents on celleporaria, particularly on that site : http://bryozoa.net/cheilostomata/lepral ... raria.html, and i see that they are from the neogene or the paleogene.
So, my question is : did this bryozoan occured in the cenomanian ?

Thank you very much.

[Edited by fifbrindacier on 12-10-2017 at 19:26 GMT +1]

[Edited by fifbrindacier on 12-10-2017 at 19:46 GMT +1]

fifbrindacier

Bericht door fifbrindacier » 12 okt 2017, 20:48

Afbeelding

Another close up.

hubertus68
Re: Re: Is it a sponge ?

Bericht door hubertus68 » 13 okt 2017, 11:35

fifbrindacier schreef:
So, my question is : did this bryozoan occured in the cenomanian ?
Hello Sophie,

no, it didn't. And I don't think that your piece belongs to Celleporaria. By mentioning this species I only wanted to state, that there are more than one possible taxon that resemble your "fossil". It might also be coral like Johan stated. Or even an unidentifyable fossil or sedimentary remains with boreholes of burrowing organisms such as worms, sponges, bivalvia etc.

To my opinion only sections can show up as to whether this piece belongs to one or an other taxon.

Sorry, sometimes determination is very hard and oftenly even impossible. And your piece belongs to these hard to determine pieces.

My advise: if you have an ultrasonic cleaner, try to clean the piece with this. Perhaps more details of the surfacial structure come to light. And if not, you can always make transverse or longitudinal sections. This however implicates that a part or the whole piece has to be destroyed.

Best wishes,
Oliver

fifbrindacier

Bericht door fifbrindacier » 13 okt 2017, 14:33

Thank you very much Oliver, i understand it, i have lot of fossils that will never be properly identified, because they are too worn, or internal casts, etc... I have not the possibility to clean it as you said, it would so imply to destroy it.
I like it as it is, so i won't cut it.
That was the first time i came to that place, next time, i'll have more experience on the kind of fossils that can be found there and in which precise place. For example, there is a very precise place were you can find lots of Arctostreae carinata which are almost nonexistent some meters further away.
So i know where i have more chances to find something like this one, and in a better conservation if i'm lucky. I found it in a place where there was some sphaerulites foliaceus, it was at a few centimeters and in the same matrix of one.
Regards,
Sophie.

hubertus68

Bericht door hubertus68 » 13 okt 2017, 14:53

Don't mind Sophie. Most of my fossils are not or improperly identified. Finding fossils is easy, but cleaning, preparing, determining, archiving them means a lot more work.

It's certainly an advantage if you concentrate on special groups of fossils or certain locations or, or, or... Never forget that proper determination is only possible with a broad experience and much literature.

Don't hesitate to show us more of your fossils. Maybe the next one will be easier ;-)

Best wishes,
Oliver

fifbrindacier

Bericht door fifbrindacier » 14 okt 2017, 14:51

Some sponges look like corals, some bryozoans look like sponges and the direction taken by my eyes cross one each other.
I have a little trace on a fossil that question me. I'll post another thread for this.
Thank you very much.
Sophie.

[Edited by fifbrindacier on 16-10-2017 at 12:35 GMT +1]

FossilDude
Administrator
Contacteer:

Bericht door FossilDude » 16 okt 2017, 12:29

Although I still have the feeling that this piece most likely is a coral from family of Helioporidae, like Polytremacis, I do agree with Oliver that the preservation on this piece unfortunately makes any certain identification very difficult.

I guess the only way to be certain would be to make a cross-section of the fossil, but off course, you would need some specialized equipement for that.

Cheers,
Johan

Van je hobby je beroep maken.... kan het nog beter? ;)

fifbrindacier

Bericht door fifbrindacier » 16 okt 2017, 13:32

I agree with you.
Thank you Johan.
Regards,
Sophie.

Plaats reactie