Old bones from Kansas?

Use this forum to discuss the Identification of fossils. When adding photo's, please add the size, name of the location, and, if possible, the age.
Plaats reactie
jennypooh1025
Old bones from Kansas?

Bericht door jennypooh1025 » 28 mei 2019, 21:49

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

I hope the pictures are ok. I found all these items after a flood of the Arkansas river in Kansas. There is a couple possible bones in limestone, then the dark colored bone about 6 inches long, and another 6 inch bone that has turned to stone, and the last almost turned to stone bone that is 10 inches long. Any help would be awesome. Are they something worth investing time into?

knaapjvd
Senior Lid
Re: Old bones from Kansas?

Bericht door knaapjvd » 29 mei 2019, 10:24

Afbeelding

Hi Jenny,

Welcome to the forum.

As a general remark: it would help if you include a ruler or some other method of determining size in your photo's. Size matters. :)
This item is a heel bone or calcaneus (http://www.boneid.net/product/medial-vi ... calcaneus/). From this one photo it looks to be in good shape, robust enough to be of bovine origin, though it could also have belonged to a deer.

I can't help with the other bones. I do recommend that you add more photo's, possibly each in its own thread, to keep the discussion clear.

Kind regards,
Joost

Groeten,
Joost

Plaats reactie