Coral identification, please.

Use this forum to discuss the Identification of fossils. When adding photo's, please add the size, name of the location, and, if possible, the age.
Plaats reactie
design2die4
Coral identification, please.

Bericht door design2die4 » 23 aug 2019, 20:09

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Hello ,my name is Anna Maria, from California and I have quite a few pieces found on private property,in the in the Corona area.There have been many shark teeth , sponges, and numerous corals.If you would like to see more, I have downloaded so pics to my profile collection. Thankyou for any info you can give me.

FossilDude
Administrator
Contacteer:
Re: Coral identification, please.

Bericht door FossilDude » 24 aug 2019, 13:53

Hi Anna Maria,

Welcome to our forum! Sounds like a marvelous place to go fossil hunting.

Can you post a close-up of this piece? I cannot readily recognize any coralites in your photo, so at the moment it is difficult for me to assess whether this is a coral, and if so, in what group of family it should be placed.

Cheers,
Johan

Van je hobby je beroep maken.... kan het nog beter? ;)

design2die4
identification , please.

Bericht door design2die4 » 25 aug 2019, 17:22

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

I am quite the amateur, and after more research in what coral actually is...i believe your right ,and no longer believe it is coral. Also ,I attached some pics of some of the misc. Bones found within the same area perhaps you could look at them and if you need a close-up on any item in those picture tell me which ones and Ou can get them to you. Thank you so much.I really appreciate your help. Sincerely. Anna Maria

FossilDude
Administrator
Contacteer:
Re: Coral identification, please.

Bericht door FossilDude » 26 aug 2019, 12:20

Hi Anna Maria,

Based on your close-up, I agree with your conclusion. This does not look like a coral. In my opinion it rather resembles a mineral aggregation. So it is probably not a fossil.

Unfortunately, bones are not my specialty, so I cannot help you with those. Perhaps someone else on the forum can tell you more about them.

Cheers,
Johan

Van je hobby je beroep maken.... kan het nog beter? ;)

Plaats reactie