Introduction of a Foraminifera Seeker

Alle algemene onderwerpen over fossielen die niet in de andere onderdelen thuishoren.
Gesloten
Foram-Michael
Contacteer:
Introduction of a Foraminifera Seeker

Bericht door Foram-Michael » 25 jun 2008, 14:31

Afbeelding

Dear reader,

Sorry but my dutch is too bad.

Foraminifera caught my interest 2 years ago. December 2007 I started to take photos and to put them online at ( www.foraminifera.eu to foraminifera.eu). For each of the so far 144 specimen I took 3 photos and sort them by genus, locality and geologoícal time. See e.g. ( www.foraminifera.eu/curfs.html to Curfs) as the so far only locality from The Netherlands.

My \"offer\": You send me not sorted fossil rock/sand or processed material (20-50g is enough,==> little postage-fee) I will sort out the foraminifera, make a taxation, take the photos and put them online under your name e.g. ( http://www.foraminifera.eu/dieter.html to Dieters Page)

Please contact me via this forum.

PS: The image shows Pseudopolymorphina soldanii from Curfs

[Bewerkt door Foram-Michael op 25-06-2008 om 15:48 NL]

Foram-Mike, Owner of The Foraminifera.eu Project www.foraminifera.eu
So far we show 12500+ images of foraminifera online for free

Send us your images, samples and specimens to enlarge our coverage

Gerrit-Jan
Contacteer:
Antw: Introduction of a Foraminifera Seeker

Bericht door Gerrit-Jan » 25 jun 2008, 21:17

Hello,

so what is the catch?

Do you sort it out for fun ???

Must be a lot of work.

Nice website though!!

Greetings

[Bewerkt door Gerrit-Jan op 25-06-2008 om 20:21 NL]

Niets is leuker dan fossielen zoeken met vrienden :)

Foram-Michael
Contacteer:

Bericht door Foram-Michael » 26 jun 2008, 00:39

Hello Gerrit-Jan,

the catch for me is to build up a visible collection + learn more about paleoecology.

The catch for someone who sends in a piece is to get the forams found into view at all.

More specific:
The great advantage of microfossils is, that they don\'t need much space, an experienced colleague in our local micropaleo-group may store his collection of 100.000+ pieces in a shoe-box. On the other side he can\'t show the collection without a binocular. So taking photos seems to be a solution.

It\'s great fun and exciting to crack a stone , sieve and dry and look for all the microfossils and parts of greater objects. Deciphering a probe visually may need several hours, because first you identify, what you expect to see and later after getting used to the visual structure you will see much more. It\'s as exciting as an excursion in the field but happening in your living room.

Identifying/taxing is not an easy task and needs adequate literature for each or similar localities or facies. In the Internet there are some good general resources about foraminifera, but very little about special localities. So I have gathered 2-3 meters of literature and 1 gigabyte of files.

The next challenge is how to transfer the collection adequately into images. The best would be to make a three-dimensional and turnable object as in CAD-processing. But that`s too much for me, so I decided to photograph 3 most representative views as it is done in most foraminifera-guides.
Macrophotography however is problematic due to the small zone of sharpness dealing with small objects. A solution is to photograph slices and put them together, but how.

So you may imagine, that I learned and experimented a lot - thanks to lots of advices from more experienced colleagues.

My idea now is to get samples from more places, which I might be able to visit and in return give back the images. I only need 20g-50g of material which a collector of shark-teeth or ammonites may consider as waste and throw away.

Maybe I should add - in a time, in which fossils including microfossils are heavily commercialized - that I don\'t have a commercial interest.

Greetings

[Bewerkt door Foram-Michael op 26-06-2008 om 09:39 NL]

FossilDude
Administrator
Contacteer:

Bericht door FossilDude » 26 jun 2008, 11:10

Heey,

You have some really nicely preserved forams on your site!
I\'ve worked with early-eocene forams from the Tremp-basin in Spain, but with those the preservation was really poor, so the identification down to the species level was very difficult.
I was wondering, don\'t you need softer rock material/sediment to be able to dissolve it and sieve it? In Spain we had quite some difficulty extracting the forams from solid limestone. We generally took softer marly limestones, marls and clays. Next to that, the preservation is also much better in clays.

Greatings,

Johan

Van je hobby je beroep maken.... kan het nog beter? ;)

Foram-Michael
Contacteer:

Bericht door Foram-Michael » 26 jun 2008, 12:04

Dear Johan,

you are absolutely right, that softer rock material/sediment is needed such as marly limestones, marls and clays to get adequate specimen.

Solid rocks must be cut into slices, but I have not worked with microslices so far. Sometimes weathered solid rocks might be used, such as found in places where the coast-line cuts through a facies. I was told that slivers of e.g. flintstone may be used to find diatoms with a microscope, but it
sounds very time-consuming for me.

Greetings for Michael

Frederik
Administrator
Contacteer:

Bericht door Frederik » 26 jun 2008, 12:14

Michael,

Quite an interesting approach on fossil collecting. You certainly collect with dedication and precision.

Basically, I understand you would be happy with just some pieces of chopped-of matrix? In that case, I would be equally happy to help you out.

You can send me an email to discuss this in further detail anytime.

Try to learn something about everything and everything about
something (TH Huxley)

Gesloten