Echinoids, Lutetian, Fleury La Riviere

Use this forum to discuss the Identification of fossils. When adding photo's, please add the size, name of the location, and, if possible, the age.
Plaats reactie
dmguk
Echinoids, Lutetian, Fleury La Riviere

Bericht door dmguk » 23 jul 2010, 15:08

Afbeelding

Hello All !
I am trying to find the name for the small echinoids that are in the Eocene, Paris Basin matrix. I am breaking down material from Fleury La Riviere, I am ok with naming most of the gastropods, but can not find any information on the echinoids. The one shown is 5mm, although I have found them down to 1mm. All of the examples I have found seem to be the same species

Dank U !
David

Bram
Re: Echinoids, Lutetian, Fleury La Riviere

Bericht door Bram » 23 jul 2010, 17:16

Hello David,

Nice little echinoid! It looks like one from the order Clypeasteroida. Have you looked at Echinocyamus http://www.nhm.ac.uk/research-curation/ ... jsp?id=774 or maybe Fibularia http://www.nhm.ac.uk/research-curation/ ... jsp?id=764? Could you post more photo's of other specimens to, I'd love to see them.

Bram

[Bewerkt door Bram op 23-07-2010 om 16:21 NL]

dmguk

Bericht door dmguk » 24 jul 2010, 01:35

Afbeelding

Hello Bram

Firstly, apologies for the poor picture, I only have a basic camera and it does not work too well for such small specimens. I have included a 2 euro cent coin for scale !

I have just soaked and sieved about 1kg of matrix, which gave about 200 small gastropods and bi-valves in perfect condition and about the same again broken, and 19 of these echinoids. The picture I posted earlier is the only one I have still in matrix.

Bram

Bericht door Bram » 24 jul 2010, 10:34

Hello David,

I should try to go there sometime too ;) From these photo's I can't help with the exact identification, but you should try searching some more for Echinocyamus, they really look like geologically younger ones that I have. Anyway, they're nice, tiny echinoids!

Bram

[Bewerkt door Bram op 24-07-2010 om 09:42 NL]

dmguk

Bericht door dmguk » 10 nov 2010, 03:09

Hello again.
I thought I should update this thread. I now think these are Scutellina lenticularis.
I am now up to 11mm, but still searching for a larger one.

Plaats reactie