Gastropods, Bivalves, and Sharks Teeth of the Holz Shale

Various fossil related discussions.
Cambrian
Contacteer:
Gastropods, Bivalves, and Sharks Teeth of the Holz Shale

Bericht door Cambrian » 15 mar 2012, 01:21

Afbeelding

Paleo Friends:

Several years ago I obtained permission from the Holz family to search for fossils on their land. This site exposes the Upper Cretacrous Ladd Formation of Orange County in the main outcrop and a Paleocene rim that I took a few samples from (primarily Turritellas). The eccentric residents of Silverado Canyon were curious and, at times, hostile to my presence. One woman destroyed the bridge of dead limbs I had made to cross over the stream, even when I explained that I had permission to be in this desolate place. A sign read “No Trespassing” by the road, and I was forced to present my letter each time the police or pedestrians challenged me as I prospected along Silverado Creek. During the many months I searched for fossils in the Holz Shale, I found ammonites, gastropods, bivalves, and a few sharks teeth. The assemblage below lists both the scientific name and the common name for each genus and species. So far I’ve been unable to identify the small sharks teeth, but I was fortunate in being able to match the other specimens with the scientific and common names on record. I hope that this fossil site is still available for amateur paleontologists and collectors, but Orange County, California, is becoming cluttered with housing tracks and industrial property. Alas, after living in North Texas awhile, I am chagrined to discover the same phenomenon of urban growth.

Cambrian

Plaats reactie