Carboniferous fern

Use this forum to discuss the Identification of fossils. When adding photo's, please add the size, name of the location, and, if possible, the age.
Plaats reactie
JohnB
Contacteer:
Carboniferous fern

Bericht door JohnB » 15 aug 2015, 19:07

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Hi all

Here's a fern that's got me stumped. I've looked through 'Plant Fossils of the British Coal Measures' and 'British Fossils Palaeozoic' and can't find anything. I did wonder if these were whole leaves where some of the nervation has rotted away leaving primarily the skeletal veins. However if this was the case why aren't there other leaves adjacent? They were found 5km from my home at Offerton, Cheshire, UK http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC2X ... oise-brook
While I have quite a lot of ferns mostly pecopteris types and calamites I've only found these two matrices with this example.

Sorry for the low quality images, iPhone with loupe sell taped to it! My dslr is in my studio (I'm a photographer!)

Thanks again for your help!

John

Carboon
Re: Carboniferous fern

Bericht door Carboon » 18 aug 2015, 10:29

Hi John,

Very interesting material. Never seen anything like it. It reminds of some species of Rhacopteris, but smaller. Perhaps Dr. C.J. Cleal of the National Museum Wales could help you further. His info can be found here: http://www.museumwales.ac.uk/176/

Kind regards,

Tim

Op zoek naar groen in het zwart.

JohnB
Contacteer:

Bericht door JohnB » 30 aug 2015, 02:07

Thanks Tim! When I get the chance too I will email him. I see you're a plant man. Would you like the small piece as a gift to add to your collection?

Best

John

pa3djc

Bericht door pa3djc » 30 aug 2015, 13:10

Nice find John!
Greetings Aad.

Plaats reactie