Not sure what kind of skull this is.

Use this forum to discuss the Identification of fossils. When adding photo's, please add the size, name of the location, and, if possible, the age.
Plaats reactie
justini
Not sure what kind of skull this is.

Bericht door justini » 13 jun 2011, 23:53

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

My 7 year old son found this on the beach a few days ago. He is really excited to find what looks to be a baby alligator skull?
Not sure if it is fossil. Anyone have an idea?

Trilobite
Contacteer:
Re: Not sure what kind of skull this is.

Bericht door Trilobite » 16 jun 2011, 00:48

It doesn't look like part of the skull of a croc. But it does look a bit reptilian. What springs to mind are scutes, the bony plates under their scales that serve as armour for crocodilians. But I'm not sure.

Olof Moleman AKA Trilobite/Lord Trilobite
[u][i]Lord of the Paleozoic sea.[/i][/u]
Ik graaf dus ik ben.

justini
Re: Re: Not sure what kind of skull this is.

Bericht door justini » 16 jun 2011, 17:08

Trilobite wrote:
It doesn't look like part of the skull of a croc. But it does look a bit reptilian. What springs to mind are scutes, the bony plates under their scales that serve as armour for crocodilians. But I'm not sure.
Thank you for your response.

HarryPristis

Bericht door HarryPristis » 07 aug 2011, 23:43

Well, the bone has bilateral symmetry, so it's likely that it is part of, of in line with, the axial skeleton of the critter.

Judging from that, plus the texture of the surface, plus the fact that there are no tooth sockets, I'd say that this is a fish neurocranium. I think this is the preorbital process.

“A man should keep his little brain attic stocked with all the furniture that he is likely to use, and the rest he can put away in the lumber room of his library, where he can get it if he wants it.”
--Sherlock Holmes (Arthur Conan Doyle) in The Sign of Four

HarryPristis

Bericht door HarryPristis » 07 aug 2011, 23:54

Well, the bone has bilateral symmetry, so it's likely that it is part of, or in line with, the axial skeleton of the critter.

Judging from that, plus the texture of the surface, plus the fact that there are no tooth sockets, I'd say that this is a fish neurocranium. I think this is the preorbital process.

[Editted by HarryPristis on 07-08-2011 at 22:55 GMT +1]

“A man should keep his little brain attic stocked with all the furniture that he is likely to use, and the rest he can put away in the lumber room of his library, where he can get it if he wants it.”
--Sherlock Holmes (Arthur Conan Doyle) in The Sign of Four

Plaats reactie