Tooth at Resteigne (Be)

Use this forum to discuss the Identification of fossils. When adding photo's, please add the size, name of the location, and, if possible, the age.
Plaats reactie
2Ronalds
Tooth at Resteigne (Be)

Bericht door 2Ronalds » 04 sep 2011, 23:26

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

I found what I think must be a tooth. In the Devonian, no reptiles were around, so if it is a tooth, it is probably shark or some large fish. It was very distictly black against the grey matrix. Regrettably the tip was broken when I found it, the inside dull, but black. It is 20x11mm across and 22mm high. The edge seems a bit sharper, but it is not serrated. There is some paralel striping appr. 1 mm apart lengthwise.

Does anyone recognise this fossil?

Ronald

sjaak
Contacteer:
Re: Tooth at Resteigne (Be)

Bericht door sjaak » 15 sep 2011, 20:57

I do not think this is a tooth, but the internal mold of bivalve.

Groet,

Niels

Frederik
Administrator
Contacteer:

Bericht door Frederik » 16 sep 2011, 20:50

Since specific 'tooth' textures or structures are missing, and considering the location, tooth can virtually be ruled out as an option. Instead, I believe it is obviously an internal mould of a mollusc.
However, I would not opt for bivalve too fast :D
Have you considered the option that it could be cephalopod? More specifically the body chamber.

Try to learn something about everything and everything about
something (TH Huxley)

2Ronalds

Bericht door 2Ronalds » 17 sep 2011, 19:34

Thanks Niels and Frederik,

I am considering it may be the interal mould of a mollusc. However, if it is an internal mould, the shell should be on the negative, which it is not, or the shell has desolved, in which case there should be a hollow space where it used to be, which is not there, or the internal mould was refossilised. Do you think this is likely at that location?

Am I right? Thanks for helping me think about it, and I hope you will reply again.

Ronald

HarryPristis

Bericht door HarryPristis » 22 okt 2011, 04:33

This object reminds me of a pen (Penna sp.) shell which is fairly common in the Late Eocene of Florida.

“A man should keep his little brain attic stocked with all the furniture that he is likely to use, and the rest he can put away in the lumber room of his library, where he can get it if he wants it.”
--Sherlock Holmes (Arthur Conan Doyle) in The Sign of Four

Frederik
Administrator
Contacteer:

Bericht door Frederik » 22 okt 2011, 14:31

Hmmm... I might see traces of calcite (shell?) bottom pic, left edge of the matrix.

Anyway, though I see the resemblance with Pinna fossils this one is most definitely no Pinne given the age.

My bet would still be on cephalopod.

Try to learn something about everything and everything about
something (TH Huxley)

Bram

Bericht door Bram » 22 okt 2011, 14:52

Maybe it's an internal mould of an inarticulate brachiopod, like Lingula? The very faint ribs make me think this.

Plaats reactie