Wow!!!

Use this forum to discuss the Identification of fossils. When adding photo's, please add the size, name of the location, and, if possible, the age.
Plaats reactie
RonB
Wow!!!

Bericht door RonB » 01 nov 2007, 21:04

Afbeelding

My sons and I were invited to go dig in South Dakota last weekend. I didnt find anything large,but I did find some cool smaller fossils, but my youngest son kept trying to crack open these HUGE concretions! Well, after about 3 of these big concs, he came across another and started wacking it with a very big sledgehammer and HOLY COW!!! What a find!!! This ammonites is known as Sphenodiscus, (I hope I spelled that right?) and is cretaceous in age. You can tell how big it is by the hammer. Its about 15 inches in diameter at its widest part! Wow!! I never in my wildest dreams thought we would ever find anything like this!! My son was sooo happy, and I was super happy for him. A find of a lifetime! Enjoy.

Still a kid diggin in the dirt

Knarf
Re: Wow!!!

Bericht door Knarf » 02 nov 2007, 11:40

Wow, that thing is friggin\' huge! I can understand that your son is thrilled with it. 8)

RonB
Re: Wow!!!

Bericht door RonB » 02 nov 2007, 14:07

Hey Knarf. The fellow that we went with told me how to bring out the color when i prep that big thing, and then it should come alive with reds, greens and purples. But we also found some much smaller ammos that are almost as cool to me. I will get to prepping sometime this winter and post some photos of the smaller ammos.

Still a kid diggin in the dirt

Plaats reactie